Thursday, June 2, 2011

Connections

Today I had the chance to help out one of my new colleagues get the month end work done.  I have to say that we had a great time.  We have a lot in common.  We both have kids that are about the same age and we have both been single parents for a long time.  She is getting married in a few weeks and of course I have  a really great man that has walked back into my life.  We also share an affinity for the singer Adele.  I felt like we made a connection today.  It was good and I think it set the tone for what is to come in the next few weeks.  I have to say that I have been a little nervous about my new job.  Not bad nervous, just unsure about what is about to happen.  Some of that has to do with working with people that I really don't know.  I'm feeling better about the people thing now.  I can cross that off my list.

I think it's good to make connections with people we don't know that well especially when you work together.  Some of our newer nurses I didn't really get to establish that bond with, mostly because I've been so focused on training and getting ready to move into this new position.  It's a shame really, because there are a great group of people working in the Operating Room at my hospital these days.  Most of them are just starting out in nursing and have lots of fresh ideas and ways of doing things.  A lot of them are very technologically oriented and that is really wonderful since we are about to make the great leap to a completely "paperless" system.  I think sometimes when we are faced with a change we beg for more time.  For me, I wish I had more time.  Just a little while longer to get to know some of these very energetic new people who have come to work for us; to make a connection with them on some level.  It's not that the opportunity will be lost, but it will be different.  I've made up my mind to have lunch downstairs at least once a week.  Maybe we can make a connection that way.  Purely social, purely friendly.  Seems like a good idea to me.  

I would encourage anyone to make a connection on some level with someone you don't know well.  The results might surprise you.  You might find that you have more in common than you thought.  It might be an opportunity to make a new friend or an exercise buddy.  Approach a new employee and offer to show them where a good "cheap eats" place is for lunch or where the closest coffee shop is.  Make a connection - you might just make a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment