Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Giving

     What do you give? Do you give your time to others? Do you give your hard earned money to the less fortunate or organizations that help them? Do you give out the wisdom you have acquired in the form of advice? I think that genuine giving is one of the nicest things that you offer to others. My neighbor started a blog last year the day after Christmas that focused on the spirit of giving throughout the year not just at Christmas. We can all give something to someone at any time, even when we aren't even trying.
      My favorite of the "Big Three Holidays" is just about here and that would be Thanksgiving.  What's not to love about a holiday centered around food?!  But Thanksgiving is so much more than just a great meal.  I know that.  It's a special time of reflection and giving thanks for all that we have  and all we are able to be and to do.  It's about family and coming together.  When I was new to Portland and a new mom, my friend Patty and her family included my daughter and I in their celebration.  Her family welcomed us like we had always been a part of their clan.  It was wonderful to be part of a family when I was so far away from my own.  I'll always be great full to the Reese family for making a stranger feel welcomed.  They shared their holiday with my daughter and I and it has always meant so much.
      This year my daughter came to me and asked me if we could give to others on Thanksgiving.   She wants to work at a shelter or a soup kitchen and give her time and energy to folks who otherwise might not have a nice Thanksgiving dinner.  When she first asked me I was speechless, which is hard to believe, I know.  As a parent I could not have been prouder.   Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.  Of course we will do that.  I am so very proud to know that at eleven years old she "gets it".  We will find someplace to give our time that day.  It's important to both of us, but even better, I'm hoping it will be an encouraging experience for my daughter to always want to give back.
       What will you be giving during this holiday season?  It doesn't have to be big or expensive.  Sometimes the best gifts are those that are small and genuine acts of kindness.   Carry someone's groceries,  read to little kids at the library, feed someone's expired parking meter or compliment someone at work for doing a good job or working hard.  Those are the things that mean so much to people.  I encourage everyone to take time to give this holiday season.  Cheers!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment