Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Here Come the Holidays

     Today was one of my favorite days of the year.  Today is the day, every year, that Starbucks puts out their holiday cups.  As I drove through NW Portland this morning on my way to work I spied the tell tale Cranberry colored cup in the hand of a well dressed woman crossing NW 21st Ave.  "Oh my goodness!"  I thought to myself, "It's my favorite day of the year!"  Once I got checked into work I skipped right on down to my favorite Starbucks on NW 23rd Ave, and not only were the red cups out but the holiday concoctions were being released today too!  Gingerbread Latte, Egg Nog Latte and Peppermint Mocha and Hot Chocolate!  Could this day get any better?!  I decided that since I had eaten more Halloween candy than I probably should have, I passed on my favorite Gingerbread Latte.  Besides, if I got one of those now, what the heck would I do on Black Friday at o'dark thirty when I usually get my first one?  I have to show some restraint right?!  Now that was today. I'm not so certain I'll be able to hold onto that resolve as time goes on, because as quick as they come, they are gone with equal swiftness.  I figure I can wait 24 more days for that luxury.  I have to have something to look forward to.
      As far as music goes, well, that's a personal thing, and here's my thought on that.  Michael Buble, who many of you are aware, is my dream man.  He's cute, he's young and he can sing.  He meets all of my criteria for my ideal man.  Well, he's got a new Christmas CD and I pre-ordered it back in September.  It was conveniently downloaded into my iTunes library and across my devices last Sunday evening - how exciting for me!  I did sneak a listen to a couple of the songs and as any good Buble fan will tell you it's heavenly!  Well, today was the day I let it rip!  I played those songs A LOT today!  It made me VERY happy.  My coworkers just rolled their eyes and called me a nut job.  I don't care.  I love the music of Christmas almost as much as all the presents and the goodies and all the rest of it.  There are some rules of Christmas music that I do abide by.  1)  No Nat King Cole's version of the Christmas Song until December 1st, period, and then only once a day until the week before Christmas, and then let it fly! 2.) No CHIPMUNKS until the week before Christmas and then not much. 3.) Quiet Traditional Christmas Music in the evenings and on Christmas eve and Christmas day.  After all, we really should focus on the real reason for Christmas at some point, and I say that, all kidding aside.  4.) Bruce Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town ROCKS OUT LOUD!  and should rock the house, the car and where ever there are children listening.  Just sayin'.  5. ) Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith's Christmas CD's are played daily.  6. ) Christmas music is played in the kitchen at all times during the holidays.  It makes cleaning up even the most horrid mess pleasant!  
     Other than music and Starbucks, the other traditions that I look forward to are going shopping EARLY on Black Friday.  Usually I'm done with the majority of my shopping by then and it's just for fun and bonding with my besties and Kaysie.  After all, who doesn't love a good bargain?! Right?
Kaysie and I also love it when the World Vision Holiday catalogue comes because we usually spend a little money and send a little love to our sponsored child's village in Ethiopia.  This year we think we might add the USO, Point Hope, and the Salvation Army to our giving list.  Isn't that what the Christmas season is all about ?  Giving.  It makes all the rest that much sweeter.  
      No matter what your faith, or traditions are, I wish for all of you, the Peace and Love of the upcoming season.   I hope that every one will take the time to connect with family and friends and let this wonderful time of year bring out the best in all of us.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment