Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Thanks of a Grateful Nation

When I was younger and living in the Washington, DC area I worked as photographer part time.  I enjoyed the work immensely.  Washington, DC is a unique place to live.  I used to feel so lucky every time I drove from my home in Arlington across the Potomac.  Not many people ever even get the chance to visit our nation's capital, much less the chance to live there.  One of my favorite holidays to work at my photography job was Memorial Day.  There were wreath laying ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, ceremonies at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Rolling Thunder Rally.  It always made for an interesting weekend.

One of my favorite places to take photographs was at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  There were always poignant moments that spoke volumes about all the emotions that surrounded that time in our history.  Those soldiers were shunned and mistreated for so long, but on Memorial Day it was different.  After a few years of photographing as invisibly as I could I made some friends.  I often times got addresses and took great care to make sure that the subjects of my photographs got a copy with a hand written note.  It was my way of saying thank you.  Thank you for standing up for freedom even though it was unpopular at the time.  To this day I have a soft spot in my heart for those brave men and women.

All these years later I still take the time to remember why we are able to speak freely, worship freely and live where ever we choose.  These days I am responsible to teach these lessons to my daughter.  When I was her age we had a parade in my town.  The WWII veterans gave out paper poppies for a small donation.  Someone from the high school read things like the poem "Flanders Fields" and the Gettysburg Address.  It was a day to be proud of our men and women in uniform and those that didn't make it home.

These days, sadly, I think the meaning of the holiday is lost.  We talk of the "kick off " of the summer season, the incredible sales at Macy's and the local car dealership and what we are throwing on the barbque.  While all those things are great,  I would like to just remind the folks who are running from sale to sale and barbequeing that we still have men and women in uniform far from our shores.  Most will make it home to see their loved ones, some, sadly will not.  They will draw their last breath far from home and all that they hold dear in their hearts.  Memorial Day is a time for reflection of all that we hold dear as a nation.  Let's all take a break and attend a ceremony, fly your flag and remember to thank our service men and women.  It's the least we can do!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment