Monday, July 23, 2012

Amazing Grace


Amazing grace! How sweet the sound 
that saved a wretch like me! 
I once was lost, but now am found; 
was blind, but now I see. 

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, 
and grace my fears relieved; 
how precious did that grace appear 
the hour I first believed. 

Through many dangers, toils, and snares, 
I have already come; 
'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, 
and grace will lead me home. 

The Lord has promised good to me, 
his word my hope secures; 
he will my shield and portion be, 
as long as life endures. 

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, 
and mortal life shall cease, 
I shall possess, within the veil, 
a life of joy and peace. 

When we've been there ten thousand years, 
bright shining as the sun, 
we've no less days to sing God's praise 
than when we first begun. 
                                                                          ~John Newton


Amazing Grace one of the most recognized hymns in the English language.  I was thinking about it last night and how it pertains to my life these days. How when I began my "journey of faith and a better life" that I was blind to what had always been right there with me, and that when I dared to be open to the Lord and His plan for my life, the blindness was no more, and I could truly "see" how I needed to change for the better in order to live that plan.

 When it was written 233 years ago it's author was in trouble, big trouble.  At the time he was involved in the slave trade and was at sea when a terrible storm threatened his ship.  He prayed his way through the storm and even though he was brought up without God in his life, he decided right then and there that he would dedicate his life to the Lord.  He made good on his word.  He gave up the slave trade and became a clergyman.  Throughout his career he penned other hymns in addition to this one, which by the way was written to illustrate a sermon on New Year's Day.  What a great message for the new year!  

I've always loved this song.  The words have inspired me throughout my life and when I read them  I can see different parts of my life clearly.  They just fit.  There have been so many times in my life that I've felt lost and fearful, and yes, at times wretched.  We've all done things that we're not proud of, and I am no exception there.  The good news is, that I believe in a forgiving and loving God, and His Grace and Mercy have helped me get through those rough patches and times where I failed, miserably.  The even better news is that I know when this life is done, I will get to live a life of joy and peace in His kingdom with those that I love that have gone before me.

The tune for Amazing Grace was composed by a man named William Walker previously called "New Britian."  When he put the words with the tune,  it worked beautifully and is what we now know as Amazing Grace.  The two gentlemen who made this song what it is today never met.  John Newton died many years before William Walker was ever born, but yet they came together in the most beautiful of ways.  Walker had a fondness for Newton's words and found the perfect tune that would endure this song to millions and millions of people.

On my back porch hangs a wind chime that when the wind blows just right you can hear the first six notes of this beloved tune.  When I hear those few notes it's a reminder that we all  can be redeemed by the Grace of a very loving and forgiving God, no matter what the circumstances.  All we have to do is be willing to ask and it will be given to us, and that to me is truly amazing!  Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment