Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Next Chapter

It's funny how the chapters of our life change sometimes without us even realizing it.  When I think back over the last year or so I can count several chapters in my life turning like the pages of a book.  Today another chapter is drawing to a close and the next one is just a few "pages" or in this case weeks weeks away.  If you had asked me last June where I would be in a year I never would have guessed that I would be packing up and leaving Portland, someplace very near and dear to my heart.  It was in Portland that I "grew up" into true adult hood.  I was almost 40 and still did not consider myself fully an adult, even though I really was.  It was in Portland that I became a mother,  and learned all about what that meant.  It was in Portland that my career took off, and finally, and most profoundly, it was in Portland that I began a true journey of faith and understanding in the One who created us all.  It was on a runway at the Portland Airport, just about to take off and  paralyzed with fear, that I prayed and asked God to help me not to be afraid, not just of flying, but of living my life in the best possible way.  The incredible sense of peace I felt at that very minute was like the softest of blankets, keeping me safe and warm, and that fear was instantly gone and I knew that my life had changed profoundly.

Months later as I sit here at my computer, I can still remember what that was like.  I have learned what having faith and stepping out in that faith really means.  It means (and I am paraphrasing here)"that if God doesn't put solid ground under your feet, he will make sure you know how to fly."  I know that isn't the exact quote and I've heard it several different ways from more than one person.  It's exciting to me to be able to take all that I have gathered over the last months and put it into action.  I know that this big change is going to be an incredible experience and opportunity for both Kaysie and myself.  Today it was made official.  The Portland chapter of my life's journey is drawing to a close.  We have lived here for 11 years, and now it's time to move and put down roots.  These will not be shallow roots, these roots will be deep.  I am investing in the community by giving flu shots at Walmart this fall, and participating in some volunteer activities with Point Hope.  I will be living amongst people I have included in my "Life Tribe" and begun to think of as part of my family.  We will be buying a home later this fall.  It was all part of The Plan.  

The chapters of my life have changed and continue to change.  Change is what propels us forward in this life.  What I know to be true is that what lies ahead, is going to be wonderful.  I feel it deep in my heart.  I can look back on my time here and see all that has been accomplished.  I thought about all the "Baby Nurses" that work in the operating room at Good Sam that I helped train.  I am so proud of each and every one.  They have grown into leaders and true professionals, and I am honored to call them colleagues. I was supposed to be here and I am leaving a mark that will hopefully last a while.  To all of my friends, this isn't good bye.  This is just see you soon.  I expect we will be back to visit and have a bacon maple bar or two, and I am sure some of you will visit us in our new home, as we turn the pages of this chapter. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment