Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Gift of Time

     Tonight I was given a gift.  Time.  Time to wonder around my favorite store (Tarjay), time to read a wonderful book (Fearless by Max Lucado), and time to just "be".  It's been amazing and absolutely what I needed.  In a little bit, I'm going to go and get some physical rest, so that I can finish off my time with a cup of my favorite coffee on my wonderful back porch, listening to the rain that has begun to softly fall signaling the fact that Autumn in the Great State of Oregon really has arrived.  Then I'll go and do some grocery shopping for the next 10 days and get ready for the week.
      Time is a gift.  I just learned that recently.  I have spent a lifetime wasting it, and that makes me a little bit sad, because once it's gone it's gone and you can't hit rewind or playback and get it back.  (Bummer).  I read one woman's assessment of time which was pretty much like mine, and she says she tries really hard to not waste it anymore.  She says she rarely watches TV, doesn't play video games, or spend too much time on Facebook.  She has many hobbies and that's how she chooses to use her time.  There are several other people whom I greatly respect, that said they are also re-evaluating how they spend their time.  I think it's a worthy thing to do.  Lately, I know I have been getting caught up in things that I have no business getting caught up in because they are mentally draining and probably not a good use of time.  It just got the best of me, and here I am...in a retreat, but I needed it anyway.  I'm getting ready for a journey of life changing proportions and this time has allowed me to prepare for that journey.
     When my journey is done I will be using my time far differently.  I have already started to get rid of my old bad habits, and honestly I don't miss them.  I tried to watch a movie tonight and it only lasted about 30 minutes.  I just felt like there were better uses for this precious time I have to myself tonight so I went back to my book.
      Sunday is one of my favorite days of the week.  Even when my daughter is around I still take time to be still and do special things for our little family.  Usually Sunday afternoon we bake cookies together for the coming week's lunches and snacks.  Tomorrow we are making my grandmother's sugar cookies.  I am also going to jar up some home made apple sauce.  The crock pot is coming out for dinner prep and of course there will be laundry and packing for our upcoming vacation trip.  It's ok, I got what I needed tonight, and it has been absolutely wonderful.
     Before your busy week starts I would encourage you to take some time to just "be".  Time is a precious commodity.  We only have a given amount, and so I've decided it's meant to be enjoyed, and not wasted.  How will you use your time today?  Let me know what you did and how it made you feel.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment