Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Going Home

Today I am going home.  I am returning to the place  where I started out to the people who know me best.  Yesterday I spoke with both of my parents, and both had words of wisdom for our day of travel.  Dad told me not to be shy when boarding the plane.  "Get right up there, he said, "so you can get space in the overhead compartment for your bag." he would know, he travels all the time.  Mom ran down my to do list with me.  Do have this done? Did you print this out? What about the rental car? She's always been the "organizer."
     So here I sit on the plane. Jetting toward Phoenix on the first leg of our trip.  God and I had a little moment before I got on the plane, and all is well there (see yesterday's post for that story).  Kaysie is snoozing, her first trip in first class and she's sleeping! The red hills of the desert are right outside the window, and I am feeling the most peaceful I've felt in months.  Vacation is off to a fine start. 
         A famous writer once said "You can never go home again.". I think that's partly true.   You can go there but it's never the same once you leave and live your life away from there.  Home to me is memories of my growing up years with family and friends.  Many of those memories  are happy and a few are not.  I don't think that's too unusual .  We all have some things we'd rather forget.  I try to focus on the things I love about being there. Knowing that I will travel back to the place that I am meant to be seems to keep things balanced.  I cannot return home to stay.  That pains some of my family, but we raise our children to spread their wings and fly. I spread my wings when I moved to Oregon. I know that's where I am meant to be. It's my spot, and now my home. Some day Kaysie will do the same. I know that, and although I might dread it, I also realize that's how life works. I have seen far too many people try to live their lives for other people and it never works out right. There will always be a place for her in my home, but I will never expect her to stay.
I hope that those of you who travel home from time to time find the happiness and the memories of the place you knew at another time in your life. Go long enough to remember, but don't expect or be expected to stay. If you are just starting out on your life's journey, call your mother from time to time. Visit when you can, but don't forget that it's your time to fly and find where you are meant to be. That is the fun part of being young and on your own. Safe travels to the class of 81. See you all this weekend in the place where we first started out. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment