Friday, October 7, 2011

Say What You Need to Say

      Say what you need to say... This is a popular song by John Mayer.  It has a great message "find your voice," something everyone needs to do at some point in your life.  Weather you are mustering up the courage to ask for a raise at work, or having a conversation with one of your children about making better choices.  We also have to have difficult conversations with our parents or our partners from time to time.  This is a skill that I wish I had learned way earlier in my life.  I think there might not have been as much pain an heartache throughout my young adult life.
      My daughter is very shy.  As she grows older I have watched the shyness fall away little by little.  This week however the shyness was back.  She had to ask for help with a task and she just couldn't muster the courage to do it.  I helped her begin the conversation by emailing her teacher, the rest was up to her.  I was very proud of the way she handled herself and her teacher wrote me back and said she asked for what she needed and seemed pleased with the results.  When I picked her up from Cross Country practice that day she was so proud and happy.  When we talked at dinner she thanked me for helping her to start the conversation.  I told her that as her mom, that part was my job, but that she handled the rest with maturity and grace.
      I also have had to "say what I needed to say" to a co-worker just this week.  That is never easy, but I just said what was in my heart with only the kindest intentions.  I believe when you have to say things that are hard to hear that is the best way.  I have always maintained that a message well delivered is one that is not only heard but accepted by the receiver.   They might not like it, but at least you said what needed to be said with only the best intent.  It went well.  The message was clear and well received.
     I truly believe that we all need to find our voice from time to time.  That is a life skill; one that will be repeated over and over again.  Sometimes it's easy, and other times it's just downright hard.  When it's hard; it's worth taking the time to chose your words carefully, and putting yourself in the receivers shoes. Words can be very hurtful.   How would you feel hearing this message?  As John Mayer says : "Do it with your heart wide open, and say what you need to say..."  I don't think you can go wrong when you express yourself that way. Check out John's tune  "Say" on iTunes.  It's a great song.   Have a great weekend everyone!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment