Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Steve Jobs and Apple

     Today the news was sad.  Technology visionary Steve Jobs passed away.  He stepped down from his beloved company over the summer and handed the reins to successor Tim Cook.  His health issues were no secret over the last couple of years, yet he continued to steer the "Mothership" in Cupertino with courage and dignity.
     To me, Steve Jobs was a pioneer and a visionary.  In fact, tonight's tribute was composed on the notepad feature of my beloved iPad while my daughter took her martial arts class.  His computers changed how we do things and his company set a precedent for outstanding customer service as well as quality products.  I'm a firm believer in the old saying that "you get what you pay for," and when you buy a device from Apple you get a lot.  I futzed around with p.c.'s forever, only because Macs were a little out of my budget and believe me I lamented that fact for a long time.
     A few years ago my p.c. crashed and all of daughter's baby pictures along with hundreds of dollars in iTunes music were gone in an instant.  I had been saving up for an iMac and I finally had enough money in the bank.  I called the Apple store and they said come on in and bring your p.c. tower.  If we can turn it on we can get all of your music and pictures back.  Don't worry about a thing.  They were true to their word, and in a little over an hour I walked out the door with my new iMac complete with all of my pictures and music, a two year care plan, and a year's worth of classes so that I'd know how to get the most out of my new computer and have fun in the process.  I have not had one single regret.  No buyer's remorse for this girl AT ALL.
     There are folks out there that don't appreciate Apple or Mr. Jobs and his efforts to take us to the next level in computer technology, but I would respectfully ask that those folks think before they respond.  Apple donates many computers and software to many of the local schools in my area, and nationwide I would imagine.  Our nation's students who are lucky enough to work on iMacs and now iPads are being given a great opportunity to use the latest in technology and make learning fun, while helping to keep the ever rising cost of books lower and our planet a little greener.  Apple goes to great efforts to make their devices sustainable and as earth friendly as possible.  They will even recycle your old p.c. for free when you buy a new iMac.
      All these things were important to Steve Jobs and he took them along with his beloved company into the new millenium.  He made the impossible possible.  As a young boy, I'm sure he was a daydreamer of epic proportions.  The difference between him and all the others was that he made those epic daydreams come true when he grew up.  He lived "the dream," and personally I think the world needs more people like him.  This evening I would ask that everyone light up their iPhones, iPods, iMacs and Mac Books in honor of Steve Jobs.  I think he would love that!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment