Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Almost Fifty

     This is the year that I turn fifty.  Initially,  this was not a pleasant thought, and then I looked around me. What I found were plenty of women who seemed to have survived their fiftieth year and actually thrived through it.  It just doesn't seem enough to say survived...thrived is much better.  So from time to time I'll be shouting out to my "fellow fifty females" to fill their half full glasses to totally full with whatever I can.
      A few weeks ago I was getting my nails done and there was another lady in the salon who was just about to celebrate her fiftieth birthday in a matter of days.  I asked her if she was doing anything special to mark the occasion, and her reply was "Are you kidding me?  No, I'm not ready for this and I'm certainly not going to celebrate it."  I silently thought to myself, "what a shame."  To me she looked healthy, really attractive, and well dressed.  If I had known her a little better I might have asked her why she was so upset.  But instead I decided right then and there NOT to be that lady this year.
     In the past few weeks I've thought about some things that I'd like to do to make this year special and there were four really big things that stood out.  Run a marathon, buy a house, go on a mission trip to a foreign country, and move towards writing for a living.  I decided that running a marathon was probably a long shot for this year due to other issues, so I've put that on the docket for next year.  Buying a house is entirely possible, but I want to make sure it's the right house in the right place.  So that has also been put off  for the end of this year.  Moving towards writing for a living, is already under way, although I'm not quite ready to quit my real job just yet.  Which leaves going on a mission trip to a foreign country.  That seems to be the "BINGO."
     So this year to mark my big birthday, that's what I'm going to do.  Looks like it will either be August or October, and I'm not sure what I'll be doing, but I do know that it will be a wonderful way to commemorate my first 50 years.  I'll be giving back to others, using my knowledge and experience to bring joy to those who are struggling.  I'd really like to work with children because they are so important to our future here on earth.  Maybe if I do that they will remember when they grow up that someone cared enough to travel a great distance to make a difference in their life.  Isn't that what we're supposed to do?  I work right here at home too, giving back to folks that are less fortunate.  I'm looking at the wider world.  I need to set a good example for the "world citizen" that lives right in my own house.  She needs to know that it's important to do something kind for those who are not right in front of her.  There are people all over this planet that live day to day with far less than we could ever imagine, yet they fight the good fight and smile.
     I'll keep you informed on how all this works out because I will need your prayers and support - I'm going to a place that has no electricity which means no hair dryer, but I don't care.  I'll make do, and I'll have fun, just doing some little bit of good in this world and maybe even making some little children smile.  Sounds like the best birthday celebration ever!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment