Friday, January 13, 2012

Being Happy Not Perfect

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It just means that you are willing to look past the imperfections."  Unknown

     What does being happy mean to you?  I found this quote on my facebook newsfeed this morning.  I've thought about it all day and I'm thinking that this is what being happy might mean to me.  Life is rarely perfect, but I think when you are willing to look past the parts that aren't perfect, that is when you have the opportunity to enjoy life for what it is.  I think sometimes we expect too much, and that's when we get into trouble.  We let our desire for perfection get in our way and we are blinded to the possibilities that come with imperfection.
     One of the things that I would love to do someday is buy an old house in the country and fix it up.  My mother thinks I'm nuts.  "Wouldn't you rather have something that is brand new?  That no one has lived in? In other words, a "perfect" house.  My answer is, "No not really."  What fun would that be?  It would be nice, certainly, but fixing up something would be more fun.  I'd be willing to look past the imperfections of an old house and fix it up just the way I want it.  That would make me happy.   I'm getting ready to experience life in a brand new home this year, I hope.  The old "fixer upper" is going to have to wait a while.  That will be my project for when I'm ready to write full time.
     The other thing I tend to look past the imperfections in are dogs.  I make no excuses for some of the wacky dogs that have been a part of my life. I've loved every single one of them.  When I graduated from nursing school I became the proud owner of a mixed breed dog (Chow Lab) named Denali.  Those of you who knew Denali, knew what a special girl she was.  She was the sweetest dog in the world, but the smarts in both breeds cancelled each other out and she was just silly.  Then there was Abby Noodle my daughter's first dog - we adopted Abby when she was 13 years old.  She was the sweetest old girl ever.  My favorite Abby Noodle story is  the first time my mom visited us after we adopted Abby.  I called home to see how everyone was doing and my mom said that Abby would just whine and whine at her.  She said she tried feeding her, taking her out and the dog continued to whine.  Then I asked my mom where are you?  She said she was sitting on the sofa.  I asked my mom, "Well, did you invite Abby up to sit with you and Kaysie?"  The answer was no, but as soon as she did the whining stopped.  The third most memorable dog was Chloe - a big old black lab who I discovered much to my dismay, had a HORRIBLE case of separation anxiety.  She totally demolished the interior of my car, but I loved her anyhow.  The point is, they might not have been perfect, but their sweet personalities made me happy to overlook what other people may not have tolerated.
     What are the things in your life that aren't perfect, but bring you joy and happiness?  Do you have things that you'd like to do that would make you happy?  Look past the imperfections and accept the possibilities.  I'll bet you find the contentment and happiness that you've been looking for.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment