Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tell Your Loved Ones One More Time

     Losing those we love is never easy.  It  seems to happen when we least expect it to.  There always seems to be things that are left unsaid.  Because I live so far away from my family I tend to tell them how much I love them every time we talk to each other.  Someone I admire a great deal always says "We aren't promised a tomorrow." How true that statement seems to be this week.  I have several friends and acquaintances who have lost loved ones recently and all of them except two said that they wished they had said "I love you," just one more time. They were just wishing for one more day.  I posted as my status today "Hug those you love TODAY.  Tell them that you love them TODAY.  We don't know what tomorrow will bring."
     There are a couple of people that I wish I could hug this week, because I would.  Distance keeps me from doing that so I'm trying to check in with them daily.  Virtual hugs, and words of encouragement are the things I can give them when I can't be right there to hold their hand or share time over a cup of coffee like we used to when I lived closer.  The point is, I might not be there physically, but I'm right there heart to heart with them as best I can be.
     When those we love are taken from us, expected or not, part of us goes with them.  I think that's why it hurts so much.  You know how when you were a kid and you scrapped up your knees when you fell roller skating or wiped out on your bike?  How much it hurt to leave part of you on that sidewalk?  I think that's what happens when we lose those we love.  They take a part of us with them, and leave that nasty road rash behind.  It hurts, it stings, it bleeds and weeps.  It's not until the scab forms that things begin to feel better.  Sometimes it's a week, sometimes longer.  Our friends and loved ones that come along side of us and hold us up and love on us with words and actions form that scab and helps our hearts to heal.
     Sometimes those that we've loved and lost come back to us somehow to let us know all is well.  I remember when my dear friend Rose died.  She was all alone in a strange hospital far away.  She wasn't strong enough to recover from her surgery and she passed away during the night.  When I was out walking my dog before work, I happened to glance up to the heavens.  At that very moment, the most beautiful shooting start streaked across the inky black sky.  It was beautiful.  Silvery and full of sparkle, just like my friend Rose.  When I got to work I learned that she had passed away just about the time I saw that star.  It gave me goosebumps, but somehow I knew she was in a better place.  About two weeks after that she walked right into a dream I was having.  Looked right at me and said, "Wendi I'm ok.  I feel so much better.  I'm going to play golf today," and then she was gone.  Before she left for her surgery I hugged her and told her I loved her and that I'd pray for her .  I was so glad I did. 
     As Jon Mayer sings "Say what you need to say,  It's better to say too much than to leave things left unsaid."  Don't be afraid to tell those you love how you feel.  You will be so glad you did.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment